Pic credit: Monique van Tulder
The secret to ageless beauty is all about your mindset. Being inspired, keeping things fresh, and trying new things, including updating your makeup. Mid-life mentor Monique van Tulder shares her best tips to update your whole vibe this spring.
Spring feels like a natural time to regroup and renew, but how can your harness that natural energy for yourself?
Oh, I love a seasonal reset! if you have been pondering introducing some change into your routine, now is the perfect time to draw a line in the sand. Leave sluggish winter habits behind and take steps to reinvigorate.
- Set yourself a goal: WHY you might want to renew (for a special event, for better health & wellbeing, or simply because it is YOUR time).
- Then have a think about WHAT form your changes might take (more exercise, a new beauty routine, better nutrition, a wardrobe refresh).
- Now get specific. HOW are you going to begin to make a shift? I suggest daily baby steps - if you remain consistent, they accumulate to deliver GOLD and a wonderful sense of accomplishment.
What are the most common negative thoughts to let go of now?
I find most women have so much on their plate that adding one more thing seems overwhelming. Perhaps reframe ‘I don’t have time’, to asking the question, ‘what else can I let go of in order to make this happen for ME?’
An easy switch for me was going to sleep 30 mins earlier so I could wake 30 mins earlier and get in a walk before everyone else woke up. A win/win - it’s peaceful in the morning, I had time to think, listen to a motivational podcast, exercise was done so I didn’t have to feel guilty all day at the thought of not doing it. Fitness came swiftly with this small lifestyle tweak.
What are your favourite spring habits to introduce into your life?
- Getting up earlier to go for a swim.
- Eating lighter meals. Experiment more with salads - lots of herbs and veggies not in season in winter.
- A wardrobe refresh. Pack away all the winter clothes, get things mended.
- My skin feels better, less dry - so my makeup looks better. I will make an effort each day to apply ‘my face’.
- Change my lips and nails to fresh, happy colours.
Pic credit: Monique van Tulder
What’s the most successful way to work new habits into your life?
Baby steps per above - small shifts, performed daily, will brings results. Maybe not swiftly, however they will then become an unconscious part of your lifestyle - and that’s how you can measure your success.
What will you be doing this spring to ’spring clean’ your mindset?
More yoga, more time to sit and watch the ocean, more time spent with friends and community as we all come out of winter hibernation! The last point is key - humans are social creatures and the more we surround ourselves with good people the better we feel, and look - we know this but now science has proved it to be true.
Spring beauty update
Pastel eyes are a trend this spring. If the thought of blue or pink shimmer makes you shiver, try a soft gold, green or peach.
Lush hair that’s swingy, full of life and in great condition. Have you tried Color & Soin Mask for Coloured Hair? It’s made with 99.2% ingredients of natural origin and helps prevent breakage, strengthens and nourishes hair and leaves it shiny and radiant.
Modern nails in self-expressive shades like mauve, brown and teal look elegant and cool at the same time, and are an update and refresh for Spring. Mavala’s Tandem Collection is so gorgeous it’s hard to choose just one nail polish colour.